Most people know that babies and young children should be kept out of strong sunlight, however, in the sunniest months it can be very bright even under the shade of stroller parasol, a tree or beach tent. Sunglasses, sun hats and suitable clothing offer ways to protect delicate skin and eyes.
Sunglasses for Babies and Toddlers
Eyes need protection from the glare of the sun. The reflected light from sand, snow or water can appear very bright even when in the shade, and this bright light can damage eyes.
The article Best Sun Glasses for Children, presents the advice from ophthalmologists with regards to sunglasses, specifically they should guarantee 100% UV protection and should wrap around the face protecting the eyes from the side. Baby Banz is one company that manufactures sunglasses for babies, toddlers and young children. They wrap around the head securely and are sold for ages 0 to 2, or 3 to 5 years of age.
Sun Hats for Babies and Toddlers
Parents must win the battle with babies and toddlers about keeping their hats on. Consistence will help, if the child wears a hat every day when out he will learn to take it for granted as part of his clothes. So hats could be worn even when it is not sunny.
UV Protection Clothes and Swimwear for Babies & Children
It is recommended that delicate skin is covered to protect from sun burn but how to choose clothes which will offer protection from UV light is not obvious. These tips are from the Skin Cancer Foundation for choosing the best UV protective clothes:
- Darker colours are better than pale, light or white.
- Thicker materials, tighter weave is best (e.g. canvas, denim).
- Loose is better than tight which stretches the fabric.
- The extent to which sunlight can be seen through a fabric indicates how much UV can penetrate.
- Wet clothing offers little UV protection.
- Chemically treated fabrics are available to enhance the UV protection.
- UPF is a measurement for Ultraviolet Protection Factor, with 50 or more being excellent.
- The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends fabric with a UPF of 30 or more.
- UPF of 30 means 1 in 30 of the UV light is able to penetrate the fabric.
Summer clothes, beach wear and swim suits which are specially designed to protect children and babies from UV sunlight are widely available in all price ranges. In addition to the best brands, supermarkets have their own labels to compete with budget priced clothes with sun protection labels.
Shade as Protection From UV Sunlight for Babies
Parasols and beach tents are widely used to offer some shade. However, many of these are made of thin materials which let through a lot of light and offer little protection from UV. Protection can be greatly enhanced by additional cover to the shade, perhaps placing a towel or blanket over the beach tent, for example. Products which specify a high UV protection factor can be bought.
Kids UV Sun Protection
Children should be able to get outside in the summer months and enjoy the fresh air, the beach, the countryside and outdoor activities. Sun protection is about protecting bodies and enjoying the summer safely.
There are debates about how much sunlight is safe and whether sun creams and lotions are bad for health. Parents should take widely recommended precautions to protect children from harmful UV:
- Sun glasses with 100% UV protection for children,
- Sun hats for babies, toddlers and all kids,
- UV protective swimwear and clothes for all children,
- Sun screen cream or lotion with high SPF,
- As much shade as possible for babies and everyone through the middle of the day.